Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Adventures with a big balloon. . .

I guess you could call this a public service announcement of sorts... I'm not sure why, but with Justin in my life, STRANGE things are always just around the corner. A prime example of this strangeness factor occurred on Monday at the Willey Honda dealership in Bountiful. I was on my lunch break at work and had just picked Justin up from his summer camp day care. I have been seriously toying around with the idea of getting a new car, so we stopped in at the Honda dealership to have them give me a value of my 1999 civic (for sale if anyone is interested...). While I was waiting for this value one of the other salesmen saw that Justin was getting restless and offered him a balloon. Now this was one of the big car dealer balloons, you know the type. Justin, of course, immediately started to suck the helium out of the balloon to make his voice sound funny. He was walking around the dealership screeching, "HELLO" over and over again in this high mousy voice. I asked him to go outside with the balloon if the was going to do that, so he did. The showroom I was in was surrounded with full length windows so I could easily see Justin and his balloon. All of a sudden he was walking while sucking the balloon and I could see his eyes roll back in his head and he walked straight into a stucco wall at full speed and then fell directly back on the concrete hitting his head. Then I heard this blood curdling screaming. I ran out side to see exactly what happened. There was blood on the wall from where his face hit and his face was bleeding from all of the cuts and scrapes on his forehead, nose, lip, and his mouth from where his teeth bit through his bottom lip. He also had an enormous goose egg on the back of his head from hitting the concrete. Justin had passed out from sucking in too much helium. I too had been a fan of sucking on balloons when I was a kid too... so really didn't see the danger in it when he was playing with this one balloon... boy was I wrong. I have since researched at length the effects of helium on the brain to find some scary information. Apparently sucking helium is in essence the same as asphyxiating yourself because the brain isn't getting any oxygen. This can lead to strokes and possibly death. SO SCARY!!! Justin has learned a very valuable lesson and is telling everyone he knows what happened to him so that they too can know the dangers of sucking on a helium balloon. Moral of my little story... DON'T SUCK ON BALLOONS FULL OF HELIUM!!! Check out this link for more information... http://www.kidzworld.com/article/505-did-donald-duck-inhale-helium

5 comments:

Heather Harbaugh said...

That's so Scary! I had no idea that could happen but I knew that it wasn't necessarily good to suck out helium! Glad he's doing ok though!

The Nickell Family said...

Hi Marianne! I saw your comment on Briana's blog and thought I'd check out your blog...your kids are super cute. Glad to hear that Justin is doing good after his mishap at the dealership...good information to know about the helium. Thanks! Love, Sharlene

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh! Poor Justin. That's so scary. I never knew it was so dangerous, we always sucked helium. Thanks for the info on that.

Anonymous said...

god, youve really worried me now. about 2 hours ago, i was sucking in fairly small amounts of helium, all of the balloon was gone,b4t that was in the space of ten minutes, and me and tash (my sister) were both taking turns. Im really worried, and i certainly will NEVER be sucking helium
again.

Anonymous said...

Last night my sister thought it would be fun to let the kids suck some air out of the ballons and talk funny.I didn't want to seem like the fun sucker and tell her things I heard so let them all go ahead. The kids were laughing and having a great time till my 8 year old daughter passed out and started shaking. Today she is still scared and hearing laughing in her head. STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU KNOW IS NOT SAFE, I WISH I HAD.