Thursday, April 23, 2009

Not Leukemia... What?!?!


I got a call from the Bountiful Instacare today, the same one that I took Ashton to on Thursday. I guess they sent his blood to another lab for further analysis. It came back with a platelet count of only 35... no I'm not really sure what that means in the whole scheme of things, but they said that is LOW and BAD and DANGEROUS. They said I was to take him immediately to the ER at Primary Children's... GREAT. So I called my mom and she met me at the daycare. We road up to the hospital together and checked in. The doctor said she wanted to run a whole bunch of tests and just rule things out. Okay...sure... whatever you want. So they poked Ashton (again) and extracted 3 things of blood to test and then they hooked him up with an IV. They came to the conclusion that the rash he's got is really patiki eye. I guess that is when the blood vessels are breaking underneath the skin. After about 3 hours of waiting for all of the tests to come back the doctor finally came in with the news. She said that his platelets are still low, not as low, but low. And his white count is low. The good news is that he doesn't have Leukemia. (At this point I nearly fell over... LEUKEMIA??? Are you SERIOUS???). We have to go back to the hospital in a week to re-check his blood and make sure that with the virus going away that his blood levels come back up. So cross your fingers. We're feeling really blessed right now that it turned out as well as it did. Now if we could just get him healthy, that would be much better!!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Good grief!!! This poor little boy...What a cute little trooper. I hope he gets better soon, and I'm REALLY glad he doesn't have leukemia!

The Nickell Family said...

We'll be praying for him. I hope he gets better soon and you can put all of this behind you.

Nick & Brenda Sweet said...

Poor little guy!! I hope he gets better real soon. We are thinking of you and your family!! We love you!!

mandy politowicz said...

poor baby!! sounds like a rough week : ) hope he gets better really soon!

Anonymous said...

I just happened to come across your blog when I googled patikia and I HAD to leave a comment because your sons doctors have GOT to test him for Aplastic Anemia. His low platelet count and the patikia are exactly the warning signs that saved my life when I was 6. I had a platelet count of 70 something and the tops of my feet, under my eyes, and the back of my hands were covered in patikia. Its a very rare and very serious disease but its curable if treated. My prayers are with you and your family.

-Aplastic Anemia survivor